The Sunday Roast began as a Christian tradition, of eating after church. Very few roast dinners feature more expensive free-range meats, and there is not enough land in England for everyone to eat this way, so plant-based is the way to go, to avoid factory-farming.
Don’t give leftovers to pets of these recipes due to toxic ingredients like onion, garlic, mushrooms, nutmeg. Never feed cooked meat bones to pets, due to choking hazard (high-fat and salty meat/gravy is also not good). Don’t give leftover fatty foods to birds (roasts, buttered sandwiches) as it affects insulation/waterproofing of feathers.
Herby Hog Roast Dinner Kit includes 6 recipes on cards (make your own pastry to avoid palm oil). The kit includes 3 delicious seasonings (smoky bacon, maple bacon with black pepper and sausage/sage), along with a vegan smoky bacon flavoured gravy mix.
- Meat. Three are many types on the market these days, or make your own. Choices include seitan, tempeh or sustainably-sourced soy.
- Roast potatoes do not have to be cooked in good fat, get the same results with local rapeseed oil.
- Yorkshire puddings can be made vegan, use with vegan sausage for ‘toad in the hole’
- Stuffing (below) is not just sage & onion, try something new.
- Gravy is easy to make vegan.
- Roast Veggies (carrots, Brussels, runner beans, roast parsnips, mashed swede)
- Accompaniments include cranberry sauce, horseradish sauce, mint sauce or apple sauce.
Make a Vegan Roast
Happy Pear’s Vegan Sunday Roast (The Happy Pear) is an ideal recipe for a special celebration. The maple-sweetened veggies are joined by a vital wheat gluten roast made with lentils, oyster mushrooms, paprika and spices. And it’s all topped off with some delicious homemade vegan gravy.
Gaz Oakley’s stuffed no-turkey is made with mushrooms, garlic and white wine, chickpeas and tofu, with white miso paste, maple syrup and herbs.
Festive Butternut Squash (The Veg Space) leaves out the meat entirely and does what Americans do and uses a stuffed squash instead. This is full of festive flavours and can be made ahead of time.
Vegan Roast Pork (Full of Plants) is a Vietnamese-inspired recipe of two layers of vegan meat and coconut fat, topped with a bread crust. You can also use it to make vegan braised pork. There’s also a recipe online to make a vegan rack of lamb.
Depending on what you are serving, this could be cranberry sauce, horseradish sauce or mint sauce or apple sauce for pork.
- Bonsan Beetroot & Horseradish Pate is an organic blend of earthy beets and fiery horseradish for a unique dip or spread. Also good in sandwiches.
- Inspired Vegan Horseradish Sauce is sold in a glass jar with metal lid. It offers the sharp distinct flavour and also good as a side dish, on a plate of roast veggies or with beetroot salad.
- Cranberry sauce (homemade) or buy Meridian Cranberry Sauce (made with organic apple juice concentrate and natural sugars).
- Clearspring Organic Apple Sauce is naturally sweetened for a simple organic sauce.
Artisan Grains Nut Roasts
Artisan Grains Nut Roasts are sold in many health shops and farm shops. They are packed in a cardboard box (recycle the inner plastic packaging with household waste or at supermarket bag recycling bins). These are really nice but are quite ‘nutty’ so don’t feed to young children. Easy to make, just add cold water to the mix and leave for 5 minutes or so, then pour into the enclosed cardboard tray and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until done.
- Country Veg & Cashew is for the traditionalists. With some mashed potatoes, vegetables and vegan gravy, this is a nice traditional roast. Made with cashews and peanuts plus lots of country veg (potato, carrot, onion, green beans, cabbage, leek), peppers, mushrooms). You can use the mix to make these nut roast dippers.
- Mediterranean has a nice sun-dried tomato additional taste.
- Cashew & Cranberry if you fancy pretending you’re at American Thanksgiving! This is gluten-free but due to packaging, not for serious allergies.
You can freeze (cooked and cool) roasts if wished, but they will be a little dry. Keep up to 3 days (covered) in the fridge or for up to a month in the freezer. They say to fully reheat to ensure piping hot, before consuming.
Vegan Roast Dinners in Pubs
Many pubs (not just vegan ones) now offer a nice veggie roast. Brighton’s Roundhill Pub offers one of the best selection of vegan roasts. Choose from the tender minted ‘seitan lamb loin’ with dauphinoise potatoes, chantenay carrots, spinach puree and mint salsa. Or a Glazed ‘Gammon’ with treacle and mustard glaze, garlic buttered kale, celeriac puree, fondant potato, shredded baby leeks and vegan crackling.
Back 2 1/2 years ago when this pub opened, it made a point of designing the space so that it was open, so women could feel safe on a night out, and anyone behaving inappropriately would be noticed. They actively encourage anyone to report anytime they don’t feel safe, which has understandably led to them being one of Brighton’s favourite pubs for women.
The Ultimate Guide to Vegan Roasts features recipes for pot roasts, wellingtons, and meat loaves. These plant-based dinners feel like a special occasion, whether it’s a holiday or just another weeknight meal.