Candles are not necessary in most cases, but worth a post as millions of people use them. If you use them, choose ones made with biodegradable plant wax and soot-free cotton wicks, that burn longer and cleaner. The main issue of course is safety. Soap Daze Candles are in glass jars and made with cotton wicks, soy wax and real essential oils.
Safety Tips for Burning Candles
- Keep candles out of reach of pets and children. Never burn essential oils near pets/babies, air rooms before allowing them back in.
- Do not burn citronella candles (often used to deter bugs) near pets – nor toxic oils like nutmeg.
- Keep candles away from windows at night (to stop confused birds flying into windows).
- Place candles on heatproot mats, never leave unattended, when lit.
- Use a candle care kit to safely snuff out the candles (far better than just blowing it out).
- Keep candles away from walls, curtains and flammable objects.
- If flame becomes dangerous, extinguish with a mini fire extinguisher.
- Learn candles to burn 2 hours on first burn, to create initial memory (this increases scent throw and gives a full melt pool of wax).
Vegan Bunny is a company that makes soy wax candles with essential oils. A carbon-positive company that plants trees through sales, 5% of profits go to a charity that focuses on undercover investigations of animal cruelty, and 20% of profits from RISE candles help those affected by domestic abuse.
The Zen Hub is a small company that produces sustainable candles and reed diffusers, influenced by mindfulness and wellbeing. After being shocked to learn the truth behind the big brand candle companies she had loved, she created a natural eco range with wellness benefits. Products to be enjoyed in the home and garden, that do not give off toxic fumes. The range includes candles made with soy wax that are all scented with real essential oils, along with natural reed diffusers, if you prefer not to light candles.
The candles are made with soy wax and sold in glass jars, with burn times of around 18 to 20 hours. The matching reed diffusers (6 in pack) last 4 to 5 months, and are available in black or natural. The range includes:
- Happy – ylang ylang, neroli, lemon, cedarwood, orange and galbanum. Designed to lesson stress and promote lightness, cheer and enjoy – and bring peace and uplift energy.
- Bliss – vetiver, cedarwood, jasmine, lavender, pepper, amyris, ylang ylang, geranium and spearmint. To ease tension, promote relaxation and ground emotions.
The Happy Place Lavender Soy Candles are presented in glass jars with cork lids. Each candle has a natural label attached, made with jute twine. These rustic lilac candles are made from pure soy wax, and scented with natural extracts and essential oils, for a higher quality and stronger fragrance. The glass reflects the flickering flame inside beautifully, which adds and extra layer of delight. Also in jasmine.
Recycled Glass Candle Sticks are 20cm high and pretty and elegant, to grace any table.
Recycled Bobbin Candlestick are made from old mill bobbins. Rustic candlesticks, made from old mill bobbins. These vintage candlesticks have visual age and wear from their hay day and come from a textile mill near Manchester around 1913. Made from wood, sizes 1 and 2 are finshed with brass or pewter for a dinner or taper candle, and the giant size has a small spike for a pillar, church or spherical candle. One or order two. Different heights, each one has its own patina and wear/tear.
Recycled Tea Light Votives Set are made Fair Trade in INdia, with skills handed down over generations. Sold in a set of 3 in eye-catching colours, they are handmade with a mottled effect to allow the flame to create a beautiful atmosphere. In turquoise, lilac and silver. Also in antique effect silver.