Books to Help You Go Plant-Based
These books to help you go plant-based make it fun and simple, rather than ‘preachy vegan’. All contain useful information on the reasons why people are giving up animal foods (and anything made from animal like leather, silk, fur, wool or shearling) and most also contain a few nice simple recipes, to start you off.
Avoid green veggies, grapefruit etc with medicines. No nuts, seeds and nut/seed butters for young children. Cut carrot sticks/veggie hot dogs lengthwise and again, to avoid choking. Choose palm-oil-free vegan butters. See foods to keep away from pets.
- The Essential Vegan Toolkit is an illustrated guide to a plant-based lifestyle. Find tips on nutrition and food, clothing and cosmetics, cleaning and travel. Also includes advice on vegan etiquette, living in a ‘non-vegan world’. Writing with passion and expertise, this book brings a wealth of non-preachy information.
- How to Be Vegan & Keep Your Friends covers going out to dinner, staying in friends, knowing what to cook and having to socialise in a world of carnivores. You can go about your life without compromises, excuses or apologies, armed with 50 beginner recipes.
- Stuff Every Vegetarian Should Know includes inspired sandwich ideas, sample shopping lists, bean & grain cooking charts, quick recipe ideas, how to adapt recipes, 5 great bacon subs, a 7-day menu, how to make an amazing stir-fry and dining out as a veggie.
- Vegan Living is a beautiful little guide by Ondine, who shares her knowledge, lessons and tips. Learn how to tweak you lifestyle and achieve real-world impact. With your small step towards sustainability, you really can be a part of making the world a happier and healthier place.
- Vegan-ish is a gentle introduction to the plant-based lifestyle by Irish chef Holly White. This gorgeous book include juices, smoothies, Roast Veg Buddha Bowl, Shepherdless Pie and raw desserts.
- 7 Day Vegan Challenge is by Bettina who includes 70 easy recipes and meal planners. Kickstart your day with banoffee oats, breakfast burritos, Tokyo hummus sandwich, cauliflower steak and key lime pie. Icons for batch-cooking, nuts and storage.
- 72 Reason to Be Vegan is co-written by the founder of Farm Sanctuary. Going plant-based can help you ward off serious disease, enjoy delicious veggie burgers, save money and have glowing skin. This upbeat book is the book that tells you why, rather than how.