Your back is a feat of engineering from neck to tailbone, and some back pain does require medicine. But many issues can be remedied naturally. Built from Broken is a science guide to healing painful joints. The most common type of back pain is lumbago in the lower back, and most back pain remedies itself in weeks or months, due to torn muscles or injuries. For fresh back pain, apply ice. For long-term back pain, a heat pad is better. Move around slightly and see a doctor if it persists. Swimming, gentle walks, yoga or Pilates all help. A physiotherapist or osteopath is better!
Other causes of back pain are sciatica (irritation of the nerve from the pelvis to feet) or a slipped disk that presses on a nerve. These will often create numb or weak areas and a tingling (pins and needles sensation). This is when a soft cushion of tissue between the bones in your spine pushes out, and can slowly get better with rest and gentle exercise. Good ways to prevent back pain include:
- Change your job if it hurts your back (housekeepers perform 1000 moves in one shift and can often not get six weeks off to heal). Campaigners want them to have cordless (lighter) hoovers and better working hours. Bend your knees when lifting.
- Keep to a healthy weight with regular exercise and sleep well.
- Replace bad shoes with a good pair of breathable vegan shoes, that cushion your feet as you walk.
- Take a warm bath with a relaxing oil like lavender, and swish it around. Avoid essential oils for pregnancy/nursing and avoid Epsom salts for heart and blood pressure conditions. Avoid Dead Sea Salts (unsustainable, from a sea that is literally dying).
- Invest in a good mattress and sofa, to support your back.
- If you don’t have a desk, use a dragonfly laptop stand to put your neck and back at the correct angle. Ensure desks and chairs are the correct height, if working on computers.
Natural Remedies for Back Pain
- The Back Pain Relief Plan is a 20-minute daily exercise routine to help reduce back pain. Make lifestyle changes, learn stretching and cardio, and find handy tips for each exercise.
- Orthofeet makes vegan shoes (be careful, some have leather) for back pain made with breathable fabric mesh, they soften impact and eliminate pressure points. Many people with flat feet have back pain, so find shoes that protect the arches of your feet.
- Drink plenty of water and eat good foods, to hydrate your joints. Avoid junk food that causes inflammation and take plant-based omega 3 supplements.
- Air Armour Stretcher is a back stretcher that uses acupressure points to relieve pain. Use for 10 minutes a day to decompresses discs and realign the spine. It’s been tested to help spasms, pinched nerves, herniated discs, sciatica, degeneration, tight knots, excessive flexion and more. It has 3 slots for height adjustment, and the higher it lifts, the stronger stretch you will get. You can also place it on a chair to help correct your sitting posture, or a car seat to serve as lumbar support for long drives. Sold with a 60-day guarantee.