Dash water is made with wonky fruit, sold in recycled aluminium cans
Aluminium is one of the world’s most popular metals to make cans of every kind, mostly soda and beer cans. It’s also easy to recycle as it costs much less for companies to use it, but never loses its quality when recycling. For this reason, around 75% of all aluminium is currently recycled, although that obviously leaves another 25% that still needs to be. Recycling cans is also good for wildlife, as it stops empty cans being discarded on the streets, which can trap wildlife. Dash Water is made from spring water, wonky discarded fruit and bubbles, sold in recycled aluminum cans (or glass).
Be be sure not to cut fingers when picking up cans (you may wish to carry a device to open cans that seem ‘full’) to gently tip creatures that have fallen in (like slugs/snails that are attracted to beer – see humane ways to deter slugs & snails instead).
Loose ringpulls left on the street can cut paws, claws, hooves and children’s feet. There is a call for companies to use the newer-type ring-pulls that stay attached to the can. Always recycle ring pulls with cans. If buying beer, boycott brands that wrap them in plastic (invisible in water, these choke and strangle wildlife – many brands including Stella Artois now wrap cans in cardboard).
How to Recycle Aluminum Cans
You can just pop all cans (aluminium or steel, along with ring pulls) in household bins, ensure food cans are empty and rinsed. Most councils just say to recycle metal lids on glass jars (pasta sauce etc) with glass, although some councils may differ, so check.
If you are a business that uses a lot of cans (or run a local recycling scheme), you’ll compact space by investing in a foot-pedal can crusher, which can also be used to break down large plastic bottles for recycling.
How to Safely Recycle Aerosol Cans
You can recycle empty aerosol cans with household recycling, just remove and recycle the plastic lids and do not pierce, crush or flatten. If aerosols are partially or completely full, the propellent that is not safe near heat, classes them as hazardous waste, so see your council recycling sheet, for information on safe disposal.
How to Recycle Aluminium Foil
You can also recycle aluminium foil (just rinse off large chunks of food). To check if foil is aluminium, just scrunch it into a ball. If it stays scrunched, it’s aluminium. If it springs back, it’s likely metallised plastic so cannot be recycled and needs to go in the bin. Help close the loop, and choose If You Care Recycled Aluminium Foil which uses 95% less energy and is sold in a heavy duty version (both in zero waste packaging).
Is aluminium safe to use? WHO says that you have to ingest a lot of aluminium from oil and pans (it’s also in tap water) to be a dementia risk, but most people use aluminium pans as they are a good conductor of heat (if you do use them, choose quality brands that have a hard anodized coating so it doesn’t peel off easily into food, like cheap aluminium pans). Greenpan is a good brand of non-stick ceramic pans (their site is incorrect to say the pans are safe near birds – all heated cookware is a hazard to feathered friends).
Raise Cash for Recycling Aluminium
You can set up a local scheme to recycle aluminium cans and foil, to raise cash for local community causes. You can use a magnet to check if cans are aluminium (they won’t stick, steel will). The scrap metal is sold to local merchants, so it’s a great way to reduce litter and raise money too for animal shelters, hospices, hospital equipment etc. Most merchants pay by the kilo via transfer, so ask them for minimum rates and you’ll need ID.
Get free help and materials from Every Can Counts, and they can also put you in touch with local metal merchants to buy your aluminium, if you can’t find them locally yourself. Most cans are recycled in Cheshire, and back on grocery shelves within 60 days. A Deposit Return Scheme is due to come into force in 2024, where you will get money by returning aluminium cans to stores or recycling bins.
Pretty Gifts from Recycled Aluminium
The Tinsmith Eco Aluminium Tin Star Earrings are made in a Wales workshop, from upcycled aluminium waste. These lightweight earrings have a hand-brushed finish and are supplied with sterling silver earwires. They make a lovely gift, sold in beautiful recycled packaging.
These lovely accessories are made by Fair Trade artisans in the Philippines, who crochet together discarded ring pulls to make sparkly bags and purses, ideal for those who love their sequins! The range includes: