Ever bought cookbooks, then found the recipe don’t work? No fear here, because these books are written by classically-trained professional chefs, so they have to make their living, ensuring the recipes turn out like they say they will, otherwise they would have no customers!
Makini’s Vegan Kitchen is a beautiful book of recipes by a chef who not only is one of the top plant-based pioneers in the US, but grew up vegan from birth (she has never eaten butter, cheese, eggs, fish or meat!) These recipes from a fine-dining restaurant are often gluten and soy free, and also allergen-friendly.
Use vegan butters with no palm oil. Use a silicone baking liner or unbleached parchment paper. Keep recipes away from pets, due to toxic ingredients.
- Barbecue oyster-mushroom sliders with pickled onions
- Plum’s smoky mac
- Blue corn pizza
- Pesto-grilled heirloom tomatoes & ricotta
- Quinoa risotto with panko-fried portobellos
- Spicy peach tofu & tempeh
- Charred purple beans
- French toast with strawberries & soy cream
- Tiramisu pancakes
- Chocolate bread with cream cheese fraiche
My recipes are shaped by tradition like butter sauces, chimichurri dressing and handmade pastas. I also use classic grilling techniques for pizzas to vegetables. I’m not trying to replace anything as I never felt I’m missing anything, I just use other sources of protein. Makini
Makini Howell is passionate about creating a beautiful stylish dining experience for everyone. Growing up in a grocery store, her parents demanded organic local produce from wholesalers (long before it became fashionable) and her mum even launched a vegan sandwich business, while raising three children). She focuses on organic seasonal veggies, non-GM soy and local fruits and herbs from family-owned farms. During a year-long tour, she was Steve Wonder’s personal chef (Joaquin Phoenix is also a fan).
plant-based delicious recipes
Plant-Based Delicious is a beautiful book (by a certified holistic nutritionist who also attended one of the USA’s top culinary institutes to train as a chef). Find easy-to-prepare comforting dishes with fresh flavours and good-for-you ingredients. Each recipe features flavour combinations to intrigue and impress your taste buds. Each recipe is free from oil and gluten. Recipes include:
- Spicy sheet pan cauliflower tacos
- Brown rice poutine with miso gravy
- Tofu benedict bowls with corn hollandaise & spinach
- Mixed mushroom lasagne with kale & white bean ricotta
- Moroccan potpies with almond pastry
- Maple bakon cauliflower steaks with lentils & ranch dressing
- Mint chocolat ice cream cheesecake
- Double chocolate chip chickpea cookies
Whether you’re a seasoned vegan looking for new recipe ideas or a newbie wishing to eat more vegetables, each wholesome recipe is sure to become a household favourite that you’ll make again and again. No longer do you have to compromise health for flavour! Ashley Madden is a chef and certified holistic nutritionist, who lives in Taipei (the capital city of Taiwan) with her family.
raw desserts by a trained Irish chef
Be prepared to be wowed and amazed. No-Bake Vegan Desserts is up there with the most amazing plant-based recipe books. What’s astounding is that most of them are also very easy to make, though they look like they should be on sale at a fancy French patisserie.
Irish chef and writer Christina Leopold of the blog Addicted to Dates is classically-trained and it shows in the skill needed to create and teach these wonderful recipes. From simply brownies to tiered celebration cakes, there is something for everyone to make and no-bake. After learning the basics (buckwheat piecrusts and cashew coconut milk cheesecake base), you’ll find recipes for:
- Banoffee Pie or Cupcakes
- Strawberry Vanilla Panna Cotta Tart
- Creamy Pistachio Tart
- Cherry Bomb Cheezecake
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Cheezecake
- Snickerz Chocolate Bars
- Cardamom, Vanilla & Clementine Crème Brûlée
- Salted Caramel Donuts
- Dark Chocolate Earl Grey Tart with Blackberry Coulis
the art of raw desserts
The Art of Raw Desserts is by the founder of a raw foods cooking school, with recipes for cakes, pastries, pies, brownies and other raw treats, that capture all the mouthwatering flavours of their baked counterparts. Find natural sweetness, creamy textures and health benefits, with these sweets. Recipes include basics like making your own oat milk. Plus you’ll learn how to build recipes and make non-dairy ice-cream and raw frostings and garnishes.
When Crystal hears that raw cakes are expensive and full of difficult-to-find ingredients (or nuts), she says she smiles sweetly, like the polite Canadian she is. Her recipes are simple to make and affordable too. Above is one of her creations (a mint fudge brownie chocolate bar). Recipes in the book include:
- Tropical Lime Coconut Cakes
- Apricot Butternut Cake with Coconut Cream
- Blackberry Ginger Lime Zebra Cheesecake
- Banana Cream Pie with Gingerbread Crust
- Mocha Donuts with Espresso Glaze
- Lemon Poppy Seed Coconut Shortbread Cookies
- Strawberry Rose Pistachio Cream Slice
- Hawaiian Sunshine Crumble Squares
- Pecan Pie with Rosemary & Orange
- Three-Layer Tiramisu Cake
- Chocolate Mousse Cake with Cherry Jam
- Double Chocolate Red Velvet Brownies