Many people still use landline phones, which means OFCOM has recently said it will block BT’s plans to close 5000 phone boxes in areas with poor mobile phone signals. Even today, a third of us make use of their 67,000 phone boxes now and then, and many people without access to other phones need them. Your community can also adopt a disused phone box for £1 (some use them as mini-galleries to support artists, others to install defibrillators for emergency use).
If you use a traditional landline, BT is still the best bet as it has UK call centres and has simplified its charged (due to losing profits from mobiles). There are three simple plans with low-cost BT Home Essentials for people on benefits (you’ll need your NI number when you call). If you can’t read (this includes blindness) or can’t hold a phone book, register for 195 to access free directory enquiries. Registered BT users also won’t pay for 1471 (last number called) or 1571 (call return) fees. Also apply for priority repair.
how to stop junk telephone calls
Sign up to Telephone Preference Service, to stop people you don’t know interuptting your dinner. You can also use the sit to submit complaints about junk marketing calls. Stop Junk Mail has info on how to refuse the phone book (Yellow Pages no longer prints) still delivered to mostly uninterested homes in the age of Internet. You can recycle old books with household waste.
better mobile phone companies
- Ecotalk was founded by the founder of a green electricity company and vegan football club, to create a phone company that helps wildlife. For each call you make, donations are made to RSPB. It has good EE coverage with a low tariff, and you can keep your number. There are 3 simple deals (if you’re under contract, let them know and they’ll be in touch, nearer to when you can switch). Your phone bill is then used to help restore native wildlife habitats for woodpeckers to butterflies.
- GiffGaff (people-owned) offers good monthly plans with simple contracts and refurbished phone optios. Run on O2, you can keep your number, and buy pay-as-you-go credit for international calls.
- Honest Mobile offers 5g coverage and you can switch from your contract and keep your number. It plants trees and offers business plans, loyalty discounts, and tips to keep children safe on the phone.
cloud phone systems for business
Cloud Phone Systems offers a business phone service with no contract and a single flat rate of around £10 per month. More than enough to cover most small business needs, it uses the cloud system so you can get rid of your landline, and get free support from their Staffordshire team. Only works with stable Internet and it can’t roam like a mobile phone.
where to donate your mobile phone
Millions of old mobile phones are languishing in drawers across England. You can sell them or donate to raise money to help others:
- Little Lives (helps London families in poverty)
- Recycling for Good Causes (choose your cause)