Switch to a Greener Phone Company
Switch to a greener phone company, and you can be happy knowing that the money you pay for bills, is being used to do some good. These phone companies don’t spend money on big ads, and cost less too. When your contract is up, consider switching over. BT is likely the safest landline choice, just check the deals as like everyone, the choices are a confusing minefield. If you are registered blind or visually impaired, get free directory enquiries (and priority repair) & Blind Person’s Allowance.
- Meem is an ethical mobile network that runs on 99% of EE networks. You can keep your number and the 30-day contract can be cancelled anytime. 10% of profits go to the charity of your choice (and as a small company, deals are good).
- Ecotalk is the new phone company from the founder of green energy company Ecotricity and manager of the world’s greenest football club. Money goes back to nature, to help wildlife and the phone offers 4G with plans for broadband. All calls and texts are powered by the sun and wind, and the simple bundles can save up to 40%.
- GiffGaff offers new and refurbished phones, with simple contracts on 02. You can earn payback points to exchange for money, airtime credit or charity donations.
- Fairphone is a social enterprise in Amsterdam, that sells Fair Trade phones made from recycled materials. You also get money off your next one, when you send old ones back for recycling (you can also send them for repair).
- The Phone Coop is a Fair Tax phone company that is 100% member-owned. The contracts are fair and simple, and they also offer business packages using Fairphone.
- One Unite is a social enterprise to save bills for charities, schools, nurseries and nursing homes. Up to 80% of profits go back to you.
Sell or Recycle Your Mobile Phone
If you have an unused mobile phone sitting in the cupboard, many cupboards will buy them off you. If you have a quality phone, you can ask for a pre-paid envelope with details on how to wipe data, and money is paid instantly into your account.