Take a break in a caravan, for a fun and affordable holiday. It may be a little cramped and windy, but the overheads of caravan sites are low, so prices are good if you need a budget holiday. Although some people buy caravans, most people rent a static one, which usually includes all mod cons. Most sites are also near nice forests or good beaches. Also see let’s all go on a camping holiday and eco-friendly torches & lanterns.
Follow the 7 steps of Leave No Trace:
- Plan ahead & prepare
- Travel & camp in durable surfaces
- Dispose of waste properly
- Leave what you find
- Minimise campfire impacts
- Respect wildlife
- Be considerate of other visitors
Tips for a Cool Caravan Holiday
- Invest in some eco-friendly wellies.
- Ensure campsite is pet-friendly. Read this book to keep your dog safe and find good dog-walking areas before you leave.
- Use zero waste feminine care products. Many camping toilets use composting toilets, so reusables are a better choice anyway. You can even buy organic ‘period underwear’ that you wash when you get home.
- If you smoke, Boodi is a personal ashtray that immediately distinguishes cigarettes, to safely dispose of later on (good to protect wildlife and prevent wildfires). There’s also a beach version, that uses sand. Caravan sites can help by offering cigarette litter bins and chewing gum bins (most gum contains pet-toxic xylitol).
- Choose beer wrapped in biodegradable cardboard (better than plastic-wrapped cans or glass that could harm wildlife if discarded or smashed). Stella Artois sells vegan beer in cardboard packaging.
- No washing machine? Scrubba Wash Bag (like a modern washboard) offers a machine-quality wash (use Allurette for delicate) along with biodegradable washing powder.
- Uunique makes biodegradable sustainable cables to charge your Apple devices safely, at the best speed. They last 12 times longer than other cables and can withstand over 12,000 bends in lab tests.
Where to Find Good Caravan Sites
- Cool Camping lists good sites to park your caravan. Situated in beautiful countryside, find details on hard standings and service pitches. Electric hook-ups are available on most sites.
- Camppace works a bit like Air B n B, but people instead rent out their gardens, for people to camp in. It’s a good way to earn some passive income if you have a large garden.
- Goboony is a site where you can rent a motorhome. Choose from over 2000 campers, including dog-friendly for travel across UK and Europe. This is a friendly community of cheerful owners.