The Best Vegan Baking Mixes
Here are some nice vegan baking mixes.
Chocolate is very toxic to dogs (including white chocolate, it has too much fat) as are many other sweet foods including raisins, coffee, nuts (inc.macadamia, pecans etc), nutmeg and mace. Never have the sweetener xylitol near pets, just a few tiny crumbs from baked goods can be lethal (also found in gum and some toothpastes). Keep them away, and give them an extra dog biscuit, while you enjoy your homemade bakes.
If You Care Baking Parchment is made from unbleached paper and coated with silicone over quilon (contains chromium that leaves toxic trace elements, when incinerated). All sold in cardboard packaging, the range includes Baking Cups (also in jumbo size), baking rounds, cake & pie pans and loaf pans. Heating up any cookware (especially Teflon) can kill birds if they live in or near a kitchen. See tips to keep birds safe in or near kitchens. Go for silicone baking trays, and use ceramic or glass bowls.
The best vegan baking mixes are free from animal ingredients, palm oil and xylitol (a pet-toxic sweetener, just not worth risking in case they get hold of any). These are the best on the market (recycle any plastic packaging with household recycling or at your local supermarket bag recycling bin). If used, choose palm-oil-free vegan butters.
- Sweet Pea Pantry makes mixes for carrot muffins, flapjacks, brownies & pizza dough, from locally grown flax and quinoa, oats & chia. All are gluten-free and can be made vegan.
- Superfood Bakery sells mixes to make homemade banana loaf, and oat cranberry cookies.
- Creative Nature Superfoods offers mixes for Banana Bread & Superfood Berry Muffins, along with brownies and chocolate cake.
- Just Wholefoods offers a nice range of organic baking mixes for flapjacks, pancakes, matcha pancakes and energy balls.
- Amisa gluten-free mixes have rice, buckwheat, teff flour & millet.
- BOSH make mixes for Lemon Fizzle Cupcake. You can also pick up one of their ready-made cakes in many supermarkets.
We can’t buy them here, but worth a mention is the USA’s Coconut Whisk. This hugely popular company offers vegan and gluten-free baking mixes (using healthy ingredients like chickpea or brown rice flour and organic coconut sugar), in easy to recycle packaging. There are mixes for pancake & waffles, snickerdoodles and chocolate chip cookies.