Shepherd’s Pie is one of England’s most popular meals, and cottage pie is similar (made with beef, rather than lamb). Both meals can easily be plant-based, you can opt for natural (lentils are often used) or faux meats (choose one free from palm oil and then just top with mashed potato made with palm-oil-free vegan butter. Most recipes add some extra veggies, and then it’s served with vegetables and vegan gravy.
Easy Shepherd’s Pie (So Vegan) is packed with nutrients for colder months, and uses yeast extract for deep flavour (soy sauce or tamari can be used instead) and some vegan cheese to the mashed topping. Keep these meals away from pets as they smell and taste like meat, but contain toxic ingredients like garlic, onion, mushrooms, jackfruit and faux meats.
As you may well imagine, the dish originated from a way to use up leftover meats, vegetables and potato. The popular name for plant-based versions is often ‘shepherdless pie!’ Most begin with a base of sauteeing onion, carrots and celery, to give a really nice flavour, before adding your lentils or vegan mince. Some cooks add garlic, mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes. A nice addition is vegan Worcestershire sauce – conventional brands may contain anchovies (fish).
Finally, ensure your mashed potato does not contain too much plant milk or vegan butter, as you need it to be firm enough to bake well. Steaming them and seasoning with salt and pepper is good, before you add the topping to your shepherd’s or cottage pie.
More Vegan Shepherd’s Pie Recipes
Lentil Shepherd’s Pie (Rainbow Plant Life) is a hearty dish with lentil and sticky onion filling, topped with mashed potato and cauliflower.
Lentil & Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie (One Ingredient Chef) combines protein rich legumes with sweet potatoes, for a nicely seasoned dish that is simple and affordable, for all the family.
Vegan Lentil Shepherd’s Pie (Crowded Kitchen) is made with a hearty lentil vegetable quinoa filling, then topped with homemade mashed potatoes. A cosy winter dinner.
Lentil Shepherd’s Pie (Running on Real Food) uses yellow potatoes cooked in plant milk, covering a mx of mushrooms, peas, corn, lentils and fresh herbs, with tamari (a more artisan soy sauce).
Vegan Cottage Pie (My Pure Plants) is a nice recipe from a lovely blog, with very detailed instructions on how to get the filling and creamy mash just right. This features rainbow carrots, zucchini (courgette) and eggplant (aubergine) for a fillling dish.
Vegan Shepherd’s Pie (Lazy Cat Kitchen) is a nourishing dish, made with wholesome ingredients. Dried porcini mushrooms, red wine and nutmeg all give this dish plenty of favour. Also try the blogger’s Celeriac Vegan Shepherd’s Pie.
Home Delivered Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
Here are some ready-made vegan shepherd’s and cottage pies, if you want to stock up your freezer. It’s best to make homemade, but not always possible. If ordering online, keep dry ice (and these meals, as they look like meat!) away from pets, and recycle packaging with household recycling, or supermarket bag bins.
- Root Kitchen Vegetable Shepherd’s Pie is a hearty slow-braised dish made with black-eyed beans, lentils and veggies, with a comforting mashed potato top.
- Allplants Shepherd’s Pie is a luscious, slow-cooked stew with a crushed sweet potato topping, and a crispy sprinkle of paprika crumb.
- Mindful Chef offers a shepherd’s pie made with cannellini beans, mushrooms and chestnuts, in a rich sun-dried tomato sauce. It’s topped with a fluffy sweet potato mash made with coconut milk.
- Cook Food Shepherdless Pie is made with wine-infused red lentils, quinoa, mushrooms and rosemary, topped with sweet potato mash and roasted chickpeas. They suggest serving with a simple side of boiled peas with chopped parsley mixed through, a medley of steamed tenderstem broccoli, green beans and petit pois – or a baby spinach or watercress salad.
- Brakes Vegan Cottage Pie is made with green lentils, sweet potato, carrot, onion and swede, plus tomato paste, a veggie stock with yeast extract, yeast, celery, and lots of herbs and spices. Made with rapeseed oil and topped with potato.
- If you shop at supermarkets, Sainsbury’s Love Your Veg! Lentil Shepherd’s Pie is free from palm oil, and made with green lentils, vegan Worcestershire sauce and carrots in a red win esauce, with potato and sweet potato mash. It’s also £2.20, so more affordable than most.
SpicenTice Vegan Shepherd’s Pie Kit contains paprika, garlic, thyme, pepper, chilli and rosemary. With a 12-month shelf life, just mix with wholesome chickpeas and lentils, potatoes and a few other cupboard ingredients, for a delicious homemade dish.