Here are some nice vegan zero waste skin creams. However, know that some dermatologists say too much importance is given to moisturising, it’s actually far more important to cleanse properly, use a regular exfoliant and protect your skin from the sun. Dermatologist Dr Zein Obagi says that using skin creams may cause dry skin, as they may cause skin cells to compress, which stops them shedding naturally.
This handmade natural moisturiser bar (Wales) is an alternative to plastic pots of moisture cream. The bar is made with various essential oils (avoid aromatherapy oils for pregnancy/nursing or medical conditions like asthma, epilepsy or high blood pressure). Avoid shea butter for latex allergies. Made with organic ingredients, just snap off a cube and glide over skin. Allow it to melt it, applying more to dry areas like the knees or elbows. If used on the face, gently massage outwards with your fingertips. Choose from:
- Rose Bergamot – a heady floral scent for stress, scars & stretch marks
- Frangipani & Sandalwood – an exotic scent, good as a massage bar
- Lime & Mandarin – a citrus scent to help skin circulation
- Frankincense – good for dry and mature skin, with bergamot and grapefruit
Upcircle Organic Face Serum has coffee and rosehip to fade dark spots and scars, while brightening the complexion. It also contains jojoba and sea buckthorn to hydrate. Packed in a glass bottle with recycled materials, it contains repurposed ingredients that would otherwise be discarded.
Literally the best thing I have ever used on my face. My skin is rejuvenated and wrinkles have faded, leaving my skin nourished and less dry. Reviewer
Nara Facial Oil has woody fresh and spicy undertones, good for skin elasticity. Made with clary sage, mandarin and petitgrain, to reduce skin inflammation. Also includes rosehip, evening primrose and grapeseed oils, high in linoleic acid, to shield skin from free radicals and urban damage.
This rosehip & sea buckthorn facial elixir is an ideal facial oil to heal damaged skin, sold in a glass bottle, with the option of a metal cap or reusable pipette. Made with organic ingredients to heal and nourish skin, it is scented with real essential oils.
- Rosehip oil to promote natural skin collagen, which helps to keep you looking young and beautiful! It is also good for skin elasticity, and a natural antioxidant that is often used to help reduce scars.
- Sea buckthorn oil, from the ‘miracle berry’. This superfruit is high in omega oils, always good for your skin. It has the highest amount of the rare omega 7, which is good to heal damaged skin.
To use, just gently massage a few drops into your skin after cleansing, morning and evening, avoiding the delicate eye area. Lovingly made in rural Devon.
The same company offers Chandra Midnight Facial Oil which contains lavender and frankincense, a nice oil for mature skin. This oil can also help to lighten dark circles under the eyes (don’t use near the actual eyes). It also regulates oil production and reduces inflammation.