Tips for a Natural Nursery
Here a few tips for natural nursery. As well as being good for the planet (conventional cotton uses around a fourth of the world’s pesticides), organic cotton bedlinen is also gentler on a child’s skin, especially ones with allergies. And because the fibres have not been treated with chemicals, organic bedlinen tends to last longer.
This organic bunny rattle toy is made from 100% organic cotton, with corn fibre filling. Supervise at all times and use age-appropriate rattles.
Do not use pillows for babies (up to 18 months) and avoid ‘snuggle suits’, to avoid over-heating. Green Moms Collective has a post on safest choices between organic nightwear and fire retardants: she suggests avoiding floating sleeves and trousers, and being vigilant to avoid flammable items. Cot bumpers are not recommended by NHS, it’s surprising they are still legal to sell.
Lullaby Trust writes how to reduce risk of SIDS (don’t overheat and remove too many clothes or blankets) and includes products not to buy (sleeping bags and Finnish cardboard baby beds: with safety tips if you use one). ‘Sleeping bags’ and sheepskin are not used in New Zealand, to help prevent crib death.
- Read How to Help Your Baby Sleep for tips by a sleep expert, and mum to triplets.
- Frugi Cuddle Up Rainbow Stripe Blanket is made from organic cotton knit, it features a chunky moss stitch design in a gorgeous rainbow stripe, with bumblebee yellow rib hems.
- This wooden rocking horse with safety hoop (blue or white) is designed to withstand hours of rocking fun. It has removable loop to keep children stable, when first learning to ride. 12 months plus, European safety standards (EN71 Toy Safety Regulations).
- Frugi Organic Cotton Burping Cloths are breathable and soft, ideal for burping clothes or wiping up spills.
- Edward Bulmer Nursery Collection is a VOC-free paint in 12 soothing colours, use with LifeTime Wood Treatment to stain wood (a powder you mix with water).
- Panda Kids Bamboo Mattress prevents overheating and features a light waterproof layer to shield against moisture, bacteria and fungi. Sold with a washable bamboo mattress protector.
- Kids Memory Foam Pillow (age 4 plus) and Toddler Memory Foam Pillow (18 months plus) feature a contour curve design in the centre, to help reduce risk of flat head syndrome.