Tips for a Zero Waste Bathroom
These tips for a zero waste bathroom can help you to enjoy your soak all the more, knowing that you are washing biodegradable items down the sink, and loving a bathroom free from toxic bleach and toilet cleaners. Use a quality non-slip bath mat and avoid slippery bath oils.
- Leave No Trace Organic Cotton Flannel is good to the planet as well as your face. Organic cotton requires no pesticides, so items made with it tend to last longer too, as the fibres have not been damaged by chemicals. This locally-ethically-made flannel is sent without packaging, and has a hanging loop for faster drying. It features a super-soft brushed cotton side, and a buffing side, to replace commercial exfoliators.
- Bath None Sponge is made from cotton, bamboo and recycled scraps from reusable make up rounds. Launder after use, and air dry.
Biodegradable Bathroom Cleaners
If you live with pets, be careful when using houseplants. Some are highly toxic (even brushing a tail against a lily or sago palm can harm). See toxic houseplants to avoid. Houseplants don’t ‘clean the air’ (a 30-year myth).
Avoid essential oils and Borax/alternatives near pets (close toilet lids, after cleaning). See toxic houseplants to avoid near pets (plants don’t clean the air, this is a 30-year old myth – just brushing a tail against a lily or sago palm can harm). Avoid using disinfectants near pets (if they walk on floors cleaned with them then lick their paws, Erin Heights Vet Hospital says Dettol destroys bacteria walls) and Veterinary Poisons Information Service says Zoflora can cause ulcers).
- If You Care Fair Trade rubber gloves are lined with natural cotton (use a separate pair for the dishwasher). These are packed in recycled cardboard, with nontoxic glues and vegetable inks. Air-dry and store away from sunlight, avoid use with corrosive substances). Use with biodegradable cleaning cloths.
- Bio-D Bathroom Cleaner (no added fragrance) is sold in health stores and farm shop, sold in recycled plastic bottles (the company often has refill stations and sells bulk versions for industry). In a spray form, use it on glass, ceramics, perspex, chrome and most non-porous surfaces (not for gold-plated taps).
- Elmkind Grapefruit & Palmarosa Bathroom Cleaner (Devon) is made with organic ingredients, sold in an aluminium bottle with spray head (most councils take plastic tops in household recycling). The 500ml refill concentrate makes 5 more bottles. A 5% profits go to help animal welfare and ocean clean-up charities.
Organic Cotton Towels
Lüks make organic cotton Turkish bath towels, sold with a 20-year guarantee, with knotted fringes. Can also be used as sarongs. Ethically made. Do not tumble dry or dry clean, and avoid fabric conditioner. Donate unwanted blankets to animal shelters or homeless shelters.
If lining a wildlife box with a towel/blanket, remove any string or knotted fringes, as they could entangle, on the way to the vet or rescue shelter.
Firera White Linen Towels are sold for the face, hands and bath and made from ethically sourced linen, which is from the flax plant. Linen is naturally anti-microbial and anti-static and beautifully crumped. It absorbs moisture quick and dries fast, yet is lightweight so good for everyday use and travel, as they can be packed very small.
Vesta Living Organic Cotton Waffle Hand Towel is ideal for the guest bathroom or a kitchen hand towel. It is in 3 subtle colours to match any decor, extra absorbent. Wash with similar colours. Do not bleach/tumble dry, expect some shrinkage.