Made a big salad, and got lots of leftovers? No problem! Whether you are scouring for bargains on the grocery shelf, or have a glut of produce from your garden or PYO farm, these recipes are ideal to use up leftover foods in these lean times. Good for you and your pocket, the planet and local farmers, rather than buying ready-meals from big food brands and supermarkets.
People with sensitive stomachs are best avoiding cucumber, as they contain an ingredient that can cause burping, indigestion or flatulence. Use vegan butters with no palm oil. Keep these recipes away from pets due to toxic ingredients (garlic, onion, leeks, chives, mushrooms, nutmeg etc).
Cucumbers are one of those salad vegetables that everybody knows about, but few people buy, aside to make a boring side salad or use in cucumber sandwiches. But in fact these little vegetables are powerhouses of nutrition, despite being mostly water. Originally from Asia, cucumbers are very popular in China and in northern England, pickled cucumbers (‘wallies’) are very popular.
Cucumber Gazpacho (Two Spoons) is a greener take on the cold Spanish tomato soup. Bright and refreshing for hot days, this has herby flavours, and is ideal in summer.
Radish & Cucumber Salad (The Simple Veganista) has cooling cucumber and spicy radish, with fresh dill, tossed in a vinaigrette made with apple cider vinegar and chickpeas.
Other Good Uses for Cucumbers
- Key Lime & Cucumber Gin Cocktail (Crowded Kitchen) is a tangy and slightly sweet drink, and a natural beautiful green hue.
- Press a slice between your tongue and the roof of your mouth for 30 to 90 seconds, acts as a natural breath freshener.
- Place chilled slices on your eyes, to reduce dark circles and puffiness.
- Rub a slice on a noisy hinge, to stop the squeak.
- Use them as natural medicine, to help remove tapeworms in your tummy.
- Use the outer peel to remove marks on your wall, just like an eraser sponge (check a hidden area first).
- Rub some cucumber on dirty metal, then rub it off with cucumber skin.
- Rub a cucumber on the bathroom mirror, to prevent fog.
- Rub them on your shoes, as natural polish (you can do the same with the inside of banana peel).
- Blend up a cucumber to use as natural after lotion for sunburn.