@angela.chick for Just a Card
Indie shops often tire of promoting their shop, when they can’t compete on price. But what they can do, is offer many perks that the big supermarkets and chain stores can’t. For instance, school up on knowing pet-toxic plants and houseplants to avoid recommending, due to many people being unaware. Here are some free marketing tips!
- People can usually walk or cycle to your shop
- You can order things in for customers
- You can allow well-mannered pooches!
- People can leave things in your fridge
- You can set up a tab for customers
- You know your customers by name
- You provide interesting & secure jobs
- There is no self checkout!
- There is no piped music!
- You can offer free foot/bike delivery
- You can phone customers, to update stock
- You bring more money into the community
- You support local farmers & artisans
- Your shop sign is likely locally-made
- You have lunch at the local cafe or pub
- You stick around, when things get tough
- You don’t wrap everything in plastic.
- You can answer ‘product questions’
Unless you are very young (!), you will likely know this. It was (quite rightly) voted the funniest comedy sketch ever on TV! On a serious note, it shows what old-fashioned indie shops used to be like – offering more or less anything the customer wanted, unlike today’s chainstores: