Ethical insurance is a bit of an oxymoron. Many types of insurance are only ethical, by not buying them! There are millions of pounds worth of policies, sold to people who don’t need them. If you don’t have relatives or next-of-kin for instance, you don’t need life insurance. And often simply saving a few pounds in a rainy day account, can work out better value than the premiums of some dodgy policies.
Also check, as forgotten insurance premiums apparently rake in millions for the big companies. If you have policies you’re still paying for, get them cancelled. Many companies tie you into policies, then charge you for leaving. If so, then leave. Paying £50 to leave a policy you no longer need, is better than to continue paying it.
Having said that, there are some insurance policies that you do need legally. Car insurance if you drive. Buildings insurance (often covered if you live in a flat or rent). And liability insurance if you run a business. Also read where to find trustworthy pet insurance (a good idea if you don’t qualify for free or low-cost vet care).
- Naturesave is a good bet, for most types of other insurance. It offers personal, business and charity insurance of all kinds, and uses funds to donate to its own Naturesave Trust, which helps native wildlife.
- ETA (environmental transport association) offers green breakdown cover for your car, which also insures your bike. It’s a bit more expensive than AA or RAC, but uses profits to campaign for sustainable transport, rather than building more roads.
- SAGIC offers some types of insurance. This is owned by the Salvation Army, so profits help homeless people.
- Evergreen Insurance Services was founded by a man who loves wildlife, and gives up to 25% of premiums back to causes that help all kinds of species. Just click the ‘friends’ tab to tell them which charity you would like to donate to (dolphins, bumblebees, lions, birds, bugs, frogs, swans and nearly every other living being).
- Ecclesiastical may be difficult to say, but it’s a church-based insurance company that mainly insures churches and charities, but also offers home insurance. Due to this, its ethics are better than most.