It’s a daft world, when you have to actively avoid (when shopping for bedding) feathers, eiderdowns (often from ducks that are plucked alive), wool blankets and animal fat in mattresses. It’s better to sleep in natural fabrics like cotton, linen or hemp, so here are good options that last years, with proper care.
Titirangi Organic Cotton Duvet Set featured muted watercolour forest tones, with natural shades. The set includes a duvet cover and 2 matching Oxford pillowcases, with a leafy design on both sides, packed in a matching fabric bag for handy storage.
Organic bedlinen has no chemical fire retardents, so never smoke indoors and fit tested smoke alarms on each floor. Use hot water bottles over electric blanekts, and use a real alarm over a clock radio. Use oil-filled radiators (not fan heaters, these disperse too much heat at once).
Don’t charge laptops or phones on bed, nor burn candles in bedrooms (see candle safety tips and avoid scented candles near pets – never use essential oils if pets sleep on your bed, they can harm their livers). Have a fire escape plan (buy escape ladders (also for pets & babies).
- Pillows. Replace feathers with natural fabrics (memory foam is too hot for some people, buckwheat is a good alternative option, if not allergic). Babies should not sleep on pillows (some say for up to 2 years, to avoid suffocation hazards).
- Organic cotton, hemp or linen bedding is best. These let your skin breathe, although linen is crumply, so not if you don’t like ironed sheets! Thread quality matters more than thread count: choose from percale (crisp for summer), sateen (a little thicker) or jersey/flannel (best for winter).
- Duck-friendly duvets are available, go for one that’s simple to change the dover, not big hotel-style heavy ones.
- Wool-free blankets can be made from cotton or hemp. This is better than recycled plastic, as these deposit microplastics to the ocean, when laundered in the machine.
- Vegan Mattresses are free from wool or animal fat. Cottonsafe Natural Mattress is vegan and offers no-spring Futomats (most futons are made with wool or horsehair – Futon Werk makes a vegan option, if you ask). Wash in unscented Bio-D biodegradable laundry liquid and rotate dark colours for sunny bedrooms, to avoid fading.
Organic cotton is much better for the planet, wildlife and the farmers that grow it. And the untreated fibres tend to last longer. This Endless Love Duvet Set includes 2 pillowcases and has unique button closure with sham edges, to cover more of the mattress. With extra pillowcases and square pillowcases.
Scattered Stars Organic Cotton Bedlinen (also in blue) features pillowcases and duvet covers, perfect for a teenage girl’s room. Made in Portugal, this is fully machine washable. Vermont White Organic Bedlinen is ideal for those who love the classic look.
Panda Bedding makes quality bamboo bedding and accessories, that require a third of the watwer to make cotton and require no harmful pesticides. All packaging is plastic-free and recycled.
Panda’s Duck-Friendly Duvets
Panda also makes duck-friendly duvets! Most duvets contain eiderdown or feathers, plucked from live or slaughtered animals. These are advertised as the ‘natural alternative’ to foam. But there are animal-friendly alternatives, also better for allergies: Their Panda Cloud Duvet has a 10.5 tog rating. It features sewn-through pocketing to remain fluffy (no ‘bulky one end, empty the other’). Durable fasteners on each corner feature straps to tie securely. You can also find duck-friendly duvets from Devon Duvets (made from a wood alternative).
Bedding for Incontinence
If you are incontinent (or care for someone who is), it can be stressful to keep bedding fresh and clean. Obviously sometimes you may need plastic coatings if the problem is severe. But you could try bamboo bedding (above) as it’s naturally anti-bacterial and easy to wash (including the duvets).
Natracare and Earthwise Girls both offer washable incontinence pads. These are breathable with no plastic, so less likely to smell and also more comfortable, especially in warmer weather. It’s advised to reduce night-time drinks (especially caffeine and alcohol) near bedtime, to help reduce accidents.
Choose a Circular Bed
Vel eYou Bed is a new style of bed. A circular bed is designed to last a lifetime. So if the springs go or you want a new headboard, you just buy parts, rather than a whole new bed. Made without glue, it uses Poqquet spring technology, with individually sealed springs in performated pouches. Change the style of your bed or softness of your mattress, without changing the whole bed itself.