Zero Waste Shaving Soaps
Avoid shea butter for latex allergies.
Coraleen Skincare is a zero waste biodegradable soap, made with cinnamon, almond and oats, so suitable for men, to stop you smelling like a bunch of flowers! The Italian ground almonds and organic cinnamon leaf and powder from Sri Lanka offer a unique moisturising bar.
Balade en Provence Shaving Soap is plant-based, free from palm oil and in zero waste packaging. It’s made with shea butter, coconut oil and grapeseed oil.
The Best Reusable Razors
This reusable razor with hessian travel bag features a beautiful razor with a solid metal handle and stainless steel head, and fits double-edge blades. In 4 colours, the kit includes 5 blades solid metal handle and stainless head to fit double-edge blades. In 4 colours, the kit includes 5 blades or you can opt to buy just the razors, or even a kit containing a bar of palm-oil-free vegan shaving soap.
This carefully crafted reusable razor is made from aluminium and zinc alloy, with a single blade that removes hair with less strokes, to help prevent razor burn.
This beautiful bamboo safety razor features a stylish sturdy handle, and a razor that fits all double-edge blades. It is delivered in recycled paper. You can choose to buy the razor with a pack of 10 blades, or just buy the razor, if you already have blades. Sold with a 3-year guarantee. Bamboo is a fast-growing grass that biodegrades at end of use (industrial bamboo is not the same type as the fresh shoots eaten by pandas).
This stainless steel safety razor from Sheffield is made with steel, brass and chrome (includes 5 blades). The Shaving Gift Set includes a double-edged safety razor, vegan shaving brush and beautiful stand. Just unscrew the head and insert a blade, then warm under hot water. When the blade becomes blunt, rotate the razor to change the blade.
This rose gold double-edge safety razor is a unisex design, engineered to cut at skin level. The weighted handle allows for an effortless shave to prevent bumps, irritation and ingrown hairs. It features a zinc alloy head and brass handle, for durability and perfect weight in your hand. Also in silver and black.
Zero Waste Beard Care
Around 20% of men have full beards, and many more have short beards or stubble. Although beards do protect quite a lot from the sun, it’s still best to use a natural sunscreen to protect other skin. It 2 to 4 months to grow a beard (or 6 years for a ZZ Top beard). In Victorian times, beards were prescribed as ‘medicine’ to prevent harmful particles entering the mouth. They do eliminate irritated skin and acne for many. Avoid essential oils for asthma, epilepsy. Avoid rosemary oil for high blood pressure. Avoid shea butter for latex allergies.
- Paper Plane Beard Shampoo Bar (Rutland) creates a smooth lather and is scented with lavender and orange. To stop soap going squidgy, use a slatted soap dish.
- Trevarno Beard Cleansing Bar (Cornwall) is a must-have for your whiskers. Handmade in Cornwall from natural oils and butters, this contains cocoa and shea butter with olive oil and oils of lemongrass, bergamot and rosemary. To stop soap going squidgy, use a slatted soap dish.
- Manmana Moustache Wax is made from ‘tash taming’ plant waxes (organic mostly: jojoba and carnauba wax, with shea butter and coconut oil, sold in tins. The essential oil blends include spicy, zesty, fresh, woodsy (and floral, if that’s your thing!)
- By Bravery is named after a Scottish clan, and offers zero waste beard styling wax. You can order refills, and also order on prescription and the company also offers wholesale orders.
Zero Waste Aftershave Balms
These zero waste aftershave balms are ideal, if you like to wear aftershave or aftershave balms. Conventional aftershaves may contain animal ingredients (civet, musk, ambergris, mink or ambergris from whales). Some contain rosewood oil, from a critically endangered tree. Natural perfumes are made with biodegradable ingredients and tend to charge for the scents, rather than packaging and ads.
Never spray aftershave or perfume near pets or children (air rooms before allowing them back in the room- essential oils can harm cats, birds, ferrets and reptiles in particular). Avoid aftershaves for allergies, and keep away from direct sunlight.
- Balade en Provence Callming Post-Shave Balm in a solid bar, enriched with nourishing cocoa butter and plant oils, to soothe and protects skin. This solid all-natural balm can be used after shaving, to help reduce discomfort and moisturise dry skin.
- Eden Perfumes (Brighton) recreate favourite colognes using natural vegan ingredients, and offer a re-fill service. No.168 is a take on Paco Rabanne’s ‘Invictus’ – featuring grapefruit & sea water, patchouli & guaiac wood.
Dolma Vegan Aftershaves
Dolma Perfumes (Nottinghamshire) were developed by a vegan chemist, and offers perfume, eau de parfum, trial packs and gifts. You can also buy reusable tops to use for your next order. And the company sells a nice range of vegan aftershave balms too.
- Freedom has accents of lavender enhanced with crushed mint and layered with cinnamon leaf extract on a wood base of cedarwood, patchouli and vetiver
- Imagine is a dark earthy scent with green violet leaves, juicy pineapple tones and dry ambers.
- Sirius opens on accents of artemisia oil around bergamot and bay laurel tones, with a heart of geranium leaves spiced up by carnation and cinnamon, on a wood base of pine needle, patchouli and amber.
- Kwame means ‘man born on a Saturday’. with refreshing bergamot and lemon splash on a lightly spiced heart of nutmeg. You should not spray aftershave near pets anyway, but don’t wear this one near pets, as nutmeg can be toxic if inhaled.